Thursday, July 9, 2009

Scrapple

I came across this in the grocery store not long ago. My guess is many of you have never heard of it. Lucky you. Apparently it finds its roots here in the East ~ Pennsylvania Dutch I think. Its kind-of gray-ish in color. I'm all about not wasting, but some things just should not be. Scrapple is one of those things. (This food came about so certain parts of the pig after butchering wouldn't be wasted.) Yummy! The pic isn't great so I will list as many ingredients as I can before throwing up.

Pork stock
Pork
Pork livers
Pork skins
Yellow corn meal
Pork hearts
Whole wheat flour
Pork tongue
Salt
Buckwheat flour
Sodium Citrate
Sodium Diacelate?
White flour
Spices
Dextrose
Flavoring

If you really want to know more about it, read this. Enough said.

3 comments:

Emily said...

I remember seeing this in the grocery store while I was on my mission in PA, and the most astounding thing, after the fact that they sell such a product, was how much is cost! I don't remember specifics, just that it seemed outrageous, especially for something that you couldn't pay me to eat. Thankfully no one ever served it to me, so I never had to eat it; I must have been doing something right!

Andrea said...

You know I've heard of it but never knew what it was! Did you actually try it?

Unknown said...

I have not and will not try this - ever! Let me be clear on that. Never will I pollute my body with something so foul!