Tuesday, February 2, 2010

550 Pages

I'll keep it brief. I finished The Book Thief yesterday. As I read the book, especially the last 150+ pages, I wept. I had to put the book down more than once because I couldn't see the words through the tears. When I closed the book, I was exhausted and filled. I cannot say enough good about The Book Thief. It is an amazing book, comprised of beautifully written passages and perfectly crafted storytelling. Markus Zusak weaves a tale that changed words into tangible things. I am buying a copy of my own so I can underline and mark the passages that jumped off the page at me, of which there were many.

In short, I highly recommend this book. Have you read it yet? What are you waiting for?!

8 comments:

Jaime said...

Read it and loved it too!

Beth schell said...

I got it from the library the other day and started reading it tonight. I sat down and 50 pages later I could hardly put it down.

I'm glad it is good, and emotionally inspiring to the end. Thanks for the encouragement!

LaurieJ said...

If you can believe it, it is even better the second time! So glad you loved it :-)

Cameron/Melissa said...

I know isn't it the best little book? I think I need to add it to my collection as I read it from the library. I have hardly read anything I can compare to it in a very long time.

Emily said...

Amen. Whenever anyone tells me they are looking for a book to read, this is the one I tell them to read. It is one definitely of the best out there.

Ingrid said...

I checked it out from the library but had to return it unread due to my current conquering of Les Mis. I am not planing to take Les MIs on my trip, and am looking for something "lighter" but I don't think "The Book Thief" sounds "lighter"..... any other recommendations? I do have Dan Brown's "Lost Symbol" sitting here unread as well..... xo

Bridget said...

I have been wanting to read this book for a while now- Thanks for the review. I have the BEST recipe for molasses ginger cookies. Maybe I'll share...

Likely said...

totally has been on my list-to-read --- should it get bumped to the top of the list?