Thursday, December 18, 2008

Berger's cookies - Baltimore's best? You bet!!

Maybe a month ago, my younger sis Jen told me about a bakery in Baltimore that makes this one fabulous cookie. She thought it was called a black-and-white or something like that. Yesterday, we had some free time, so we decided to track them down. The place is Bergers in the Lexington Market.
We had never been to the Market, so we didn't know to expect chaos. Its basically, a huge gathering of vendors, selling ethnic foods, baked goods, raw meats, catch-of-the-day seafood, fruits and veggies, etc. You get the idea. There are no maps at the market, so you just wander until you find what you are looking for. 
We finally located Berger's, a tiny little bakery with a sister shop across the aisle.  To be honest, nothing really jumped out at me as looking fabulous. They had this weird rainbow cake, and some average looking pastries. If anyone knows me, they know I am always on the look-out for a great carrot cake. We bought a slice of theirs, and it didn't thrill me at all. Still searching... Then I asked for a 'black and white" which was met with a confused stare. After some discussion, she told me they are simply called Berger's. This cookie is simple too. It consists of a basic butter cookie covered in fudge or possibly a ganache. That's it. (Imagine my 16-layer cake in cookie form and you've got it.) Can I tell you how fabulous this cookie really is? I have a feeling it would be better after sitting a day or two, but that didn't happen. :) BYW, I know they don't actually make them at this little bakery. In fact if you want to order some you can from their website Berger's Cookies. Doesn't matter to me where they are made, they are delicious! Plain and simply Baltimore's Best!!

2 comments:

Bridget said...

I love all your pictures- the East Coast is the BOMB! If you stay maybe we'll be there too in a few years. I have been finding little treats here and there but I don't have a favorite yet...

Ingrid said...

Bring me a Berger cookie when you come back to visit!