Friday, February 6, 2009

Favorite Friday... Sisters and Cereal

I have realized that I am unable to post a single picture on any post. Blogging is journal-keeping to me and every picture reminds me of a different memory or experience. So rather than apologize everytime, here is my disclaimer: I am a visual person. I like photos. I will post more pics than I need to every time. That's just the kind of gal I am. The end. :)

My favorites this week:

CEREAL!! We love cereal in this house. Jon has always been a cold cereal guy. Even as newlyweds, I would offer to make Jon pancakes or waffles for breakfast, but he simply prefers cereal to anything else for his morning meal. My kids love cereal too. They already have their favorites. I don't prefer cold cereal for breakfast. (I get hungry very quickly if I only eat cereal in the morning.) I like my cereal in the evening, sometimes right before bed. Funny thing, if Jon can't sleep he always eats a bowl of cold cereal and it does the trick. My favorite, not pictured as I finished the box two days ago, is TJ Vanilla Almond Granola. BTW - that was not a box I was anxious to finish.
The bigger favorite of the day is my sisters. For some reason I am missing them terribly today.
They are two of the most intelligent, accomplished woman I know.
I feel so lucky to be their old sister, which I have to point out is really just a matter of timing. I say this because I learn more from them than I could ever teach.
L is a mom of two amazing, beautiful children. Her hubby is doing a residency in surgery after having graduated dental school. She just finished writing her first book, which is so terrific. She is a runner and a darn fast one at that. Aside from my mother, she has the most beautiful hair and I have to say I am impressed that she never cut it short after having children. L is stubborn, strong-willed, speaks her mind and is completely genuine, all things I love about her. She is raising stubborn, terribly intelligent and adorable children. I love you sis! 

J is a pastry chef in NYC and she is so good at it. She's dating this fabulous guy, L, that we adore. She is my brave, thoughtful, funny and sparkly eyed youngest sister. She is so smart, sometimes too smart I think. :) She quotes movie lines more than anyone I know. I admire her tenacity in life. She always makes me smile when we talk. I love her beautiful dimples.  I feel like we are twins separated by five years. I miss you sissy!


So today my challenge to you: If you have a sister(s) call and tell them how much you love them. I know I will. FYI... Sister Day is the first Sunday of August. Mark your calendars.

6 comments:

joleen said...

I am so glad to have sisters too! Thanks for the reminder! They were here yesterday and truly there is nothing like a sister. Our last little baby is going to be a boy and I feel a little sad for Paige that she'll miss out on that.

lucy said...

sniff, sniff. no sisters here. I have sister in laws so I can start there. Do you have a facebook account? It's so handy to communicate with. So many of our old friends are on there ie. Sorensens, Mckinleys, Cutris, Kawasaki's, Mishkins, Barkers, Biglers, etc. etc. my email address is nancy at ericsonhome dot net. I'll email you my phone #. XOXOXO

The Mathews Family said...

What a sweet tribute to your sisters. There is nothing like them! And I think you should post away on the pictures. Besides, if you end up having your blog printed into a book there's nothing more boring to look at then a text heavy and picture shy memory book. Post away!
-Jessica

LeAnn said...

I was just thinking about calling my sister today. Even though we are on opposite ends of a large family. She is definitely my closest sibling.

As for the cereal, it's either genetic or due to the fact that we often fed ourselves. I love the stuff. Even when I have something else for breakfast, I usually end up having a bowl of cereal too because I just don't feel the same unless I do. I have been known to have a late night bowl of cereal myself. Mmmmm. some of my favorites are blueberry morning, cranberry almond crunch, cinnamon life and multi-grain cheerios.

Lorilee said...

I love your sisters too. What a great post Shel. It is fun to catch up on what they are doing. I can't believe how old we are that your little sisters are all grown up.
On the cereal thought, I was pretty impressed by the lack of "sugar" cereals in your cupboard. My kids totally take after me and the more sugar in your cereal the better. I regret passing it on to them. my only defense is that when I was prego with Caleb, my only craving was for lucky charms. it must have been passed on.

Ramona said...

My email is ramonacutri@gmail.com