Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Farmers' Market

The problem with farmers' markets out here is they are almost all on Sundays, the good ones anyway. This year my edible garden consists of one tomato plant and three peppers, plus oodles and oodles of herbs. Needless to say, I miss eating fresh. I love buying locally though and especially not having to hop in the car for a trip to the market.
While we were in UT, a new farmers' market started up just down the block from our house. Today was its second week and we decided to check it out. It's still small, but I have great hopes for it. I talked to my kids about how we can lessen the impact we have on the earth when we support efforts like this. I let them pick out the produce they wanted for the week and they helped carry everything home.
This is the loot that we picked up this week. The cabbage was from PA, but everything else we bought was from Essex MD, less than 30 minutes from our house! Its all organic and fairly priced. We used bags from home and walked. Right about now I am feeling extremely grateful for these delicious strawberries and the fact that the rain waited until we were home to enjoy them. And I would be lying if I said needed the dahlia... purely a want and I love it! Isn't she gorgeous!

2 comments:

Cameron/Melissa said...

I found your blog when Jon sent his website. His artwork is fun but I love reading blogs.

I have to say that this year we actually have a garden and I can't wait for it to bear fruit. Although we are having cilantro tonight from the garden. There are over 20 tomatoes on my plants-all green and lots of other veges. And I am so excited. while I wait I have been buying at a local farm. Fresh is best!

Ingrid said...

Love it! Can't wait to go to farmers' market here.... In the meantime, i am harvesting enough lettuce I could probably be a vendor myself....