Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Music to My Ears

Today I have been considering the sounds around me.  
Everyday here the church bells down the street ring out with the most beautiful music. At noon, it can last for fifteen minutes or more. Even as I write this at 3:30, they are ringing. 
We hear a lot of sirens living downtown. I noticed it a lot more when we first moved here, but not so much anymore. The bus goes by at certain times each day, but I have never taken the time to note when exactly. The furnace, still kicking on(much to my chagrin) and the dryer with its rhythmic turns are merely background instruments in the symphony of my life. Awhile ago, I don't even remember when, I started carrying my cell in my back pocket with music playing aloud. What it plays is mainly determined by my mood, or maybe I should say my mood is determined by it and for sometime I have thought of that as my own personal soundtrack.

However, the thing that turned my mind to this topic is the voice of my sweet Esther. She wanders around the apartment everyday singing to herself. With the addition of Claudio the cat, I find her searching the apartment multiple times each day to chat with him. Her little sing-song voice is music to my ears. The duet played by my children's voices is a perfect harmony when they are playing together or reading together instead of fighting together. 

Pause for a moment today to recognize the melody around you. Think of what instruments make up your orchestra/band in life and revel in the knowledge that you are the conductor of that blessed group... or at least you are fortunate enough to be a guest conductor sitting in for the maestro.

2 comments:

LaurieJ said...

What a great post! I love the background sound of a lawnmower in the summer. The dryer or dishwasher when everyone is in bed is pretty good too!

I am jealous of the bells coming from the church. I'll bet they are beautiful..

Ingrid said...

How funny LaurieJ, I was going to say the same thing: the dishwasher when everyone is in bed is one of my favorite sounds! It symbolizes "the work is done, put your feet up."

I have the harmony or dis-harmony, of all my children's sounds, and right now, an uncharacteristically fussing baby! Logging off....