Friday, February 20, 2009

The hallway closet.... bellissimo!!

These are the "befores". I know... It's terrible. Well it was anyway.
One of the biggest problems I had was using it for too many things. I was trying to fit laundry, sewing, memory book stuff, home office supplies, mags and more in this one space. It is just not big enough to do all of that, so I decided to do some sorting first. 
I had to remove all unnecessary or unused items first and either relegate them to storage or the trash. Next I cleaned and painted. And finally, the reload. 
I cannot believe I am finished! In only three days, including rounding up supplies, I have put order where there was once chaos! I love it, love it, love it!! The color is just what I wanted. I feel like I could tackle any project now. Just not today. :) Take a look.
This is in active mode. I  can pull out the file cabinet when I am at the desk. The chair folds up and stores off to the side when not in use.
To close the doors, the cabinet rolls right under the desk. 
I bought lighting from IKEA and did the simple install myself as well as the shelving.
With everything in the roll-out, the desktop is clear for sewing and anything else I might want to do. Plus the drawers are pretty deep, so extra supplies can be stored close at hand.
So if you've ever organized with me, you know I can be pretty ruthless. However, I didn't throw everything out.  :) I kept things that mean a lot to me and/or help to define me and displayed them in one area.

Funny thing about organizing projects... it never ends up being just the one space you intended. During this project I organized two other spaces in my house to make this one come together. The domino or ripple effect, take your pick, is one of the reasons I like organizing so much. Even though it sometimes gets bigger and sometimes more overwhelming than you anticipate, it nearly always produces a greater finished product than you planned. 

11 comments:

LeAnn said...

Looks Fantastic!!! Almost inspires me to go organize... almost. :)

Bridget said...

I always knew you were amazing- this is fantastic! I love it. You really are very talented. What a great closet. Job well done.

The Mathews Family said...

Lovely. Gorgeous. Downright Sexy!!! It looks so great! I think I'd probably go back to the closet several times a day just to stare at it! You should be very proud of yourself. One question. What did you do to the magazine boxes? They look so cute!
-Jessica

Unknown said...

That is awesome!!!! You inspire me. I will look back on this when I am not so sick!

Steph Swindle said...

Pretty sassy there, sister. I'm McLovin' it.

Oh, and happy birthday. . . .!!!!!!

LaurieJ said...

The next time you head to Utah can you please make a stop at my house? I have a mud room you would love to take over. I will pay for the supplies and the provide witty conversation while you work :-)

Your closet looks fantastic!!

ang said...

i LOVE organization too! your project turned out SO great! i love the color also.

Emily said...

That transformation is just incredible. I keep trying so desperately to be more organized, and it's working little by little, but I just wish I could be better at it.

Karen Liu said...

{gasp} it's GORGEOUS!!! Can you come do mine? I just turned my nursery into my office... wish me luck!

Ingrid said...

Oh wow -- you should be in a magazine. Wait-- no-- you should WRITE the magazine. But before you do that, come on over, I've got this project I could use a hand on..... ;-)

lucy said...

The finished product...Amazing!