Sunday, February 22, 2009

Birthday cakes and birthday wishes

Yesterday was the big 33. Happy Birthday to me! I realized this week, I don't mind getting older, not one little bit. Yesterday was great. An easy, relaxing day and friends over for cake and ice cream at night. Can't get much better than that. This year I got a great gift from Jon. In addition to a set of gorgeous C&B dishes and a painting, he made my cakes! Not just one, but two cakes. And I have to say... He did a FABULOUS job!! Seriously he did a better job than I could have done.
First the painting (no title yet)... Jon says this pic stinks, but it was taken with my phone so deal with it. The piece is approx. 28x36. It's fabulous! I reminds me of Claudio Bravo's pieces we saw in Italy and I love it!
This is called "Sting of the Bee". A very tasty German cake with buttercream frosting and raspberry jam in the middle. I think there is like 2 lbs. of butter in this cake, but its worth every calorie.
This is a traditional 3-layer "German's Sweet Chocolate Cake"  with coconut pecan frosting. If you're a chocolate and coconut lover - which I am - this is the cake for you, just make sure you have milk.

Seriously amazing from an amazing guy! Love you babe!

PS... Thanks to everyone who wished me a "Happy Birthday". It really made my day! True story.

7 comments:

Laura said...

i love that painting - and i actually think that the "stink" in the picture quality adds something to it (although i'm no artist!). and i love (seriously. love.) your new closet. i wish i had a space. ok, i wish i had a space that wasn't in the basement.

joleen said...

Happy birthday! We thought of you and remembered it was your b-day. Lorilee was in town and she actually called us (instead of sneaking out like "somebody" else) and we had breakfast, so Andrea of course was the one to bring up the b-day! Wish you could've been there to chat, it was a flood of memories.

Beth schell said...

happy birthday! What a fabulous attitude you have... and those cakes look de-lish!

T. L. H.K. said...

I just thought I'd let you know, that doesn't look anything like a "sting of the bee" cake (bienenstich.) It looks a lot yummier! The sting of the bee cake is probably one of the simplest and most traditional cakes in Germany. Looks like you had a great day!

Karen Liu said...

Wait, your hubs made those cakes? They look divine. Can he give some tips to my hubs? ;D Isn't 33 lovely?

Ingrid said...

LOVE the painting-- what a perfect painting for you, a list-maker and DO-er! A blank canvas, so to speak. A mom's blank canvas. I place to put dreams, ideas, wishes, and plans. I remember once you told me that Jon liked to create art that can be interpreted by the viewer to be whatever it is they want it to be. Bingo-- he hit it on the head here. I have no idea, by the way, if you see it this way. It IS YOUR painting! But that is how I see it. ;-) P.S. Your b-day gift is on it's way!

lucy said...

Happy Birthday. Man, I don't come here for a couple days and I have tons to catch up on!